The Inspire Us Contest is calling West African writers to submit stories around the theme of empowering women. This contest will select and digitally publish 10 stories as part of the Inspire Us Collection. The goal of this collection of stories is to positively influence gender social norms and stereotypes across West Africa and inspire young women and girls with stories of women’s empowerment.
The grand winner of the Inspire Us Contest receives a prize package of $2000, a non-exclusive digital publishing deal and publicity. A shortlist of 9 authors will also be selected and awarded a prize package of $100, a non-exclusive digital publishing deal and publicity.
1. All stories must be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions will be evaluated on a rolling basis and the top ten winners will be selected on a rolling basis. Writers are encouraged to enter their stories early and not later than 11:59 pm GMT on 30th April, 2019.
2. This contest is looking for creative and original stories that are well written with strong plots, memorable characters
a. Positively influencing gender social norms and changing stereotypes
b. Encouraging critical thinking around traditional gender roles
c. inspiring women, girls, men
d. The portrayal of men and women in different roles from those traditionally assigned in a patriarchal society
e. A critical reflection on masculinity and femininity
f. A show of support for gender equality by boys and men
g. A focus on female role models and telling the story of how they survived challenges and broke stereotypes to become successful
h. True or fictional stories about aspects of the life of female role models, dead or alive
3. Entries can either be fiction or nonfiction.
4. All stories must be an original piece of writing – it should not have been published elsewhere or submitted to other competitions.
5. By submitting a manuscript the author attests that it is their own original work and if selected as a winner grants Worldreader the non-exclusive rights to publish the story on Worldreader Mobile.
6. The number of words in a manuscript should range between 3,500 – 8,000 words.
7. Authors can submit up to 3 stories.
8. The contest is open only to West African (ECOWAS) authors. Stories are to be submitted in English.
9. Winners will be announced on 15th August.
10. The contest administrators will disqualify all stories that do not adhere to the submission guidelines.
How to Submit
Entries must be typed in English and submitted in Microsoft Word format. It should use font Times New Roman with font size 12, double spacing and
The filename of the document should be saved as the first and last name_ title of the story. Example: NanaAkinlawon_SaharaDanger
The subject line of the submission email should be “Submission_First and Last Name_Title of Story”. Example: Submission_NanaAkinlawon_SaharaDanger
All manuscripts must have a cover page with the following details:
• Title of story
• Name of author
• Country of residence
• Male or Female (this information is for data purposes and not factored into the jury process)
• Email address
• Telephone number
All entries must be emailed to email@example.com by 11:59pm GMT on 30th