The Lagos International Poetry Festival is an annual celebration that brings poets, writers, artists, and thinkers from across the world to Lagos for a week of conversations, readings, performances, workshops and adventure.
This year, the Lagos International Poetry Festival will be publishing an anthology of poems on the theme Wide Awake. Poetry entries are expected to interrogate new frontiers in the fight for social justice, gender and racial equality, sexual identity, and the need for vigilance in a post-truth era.
The anthology will feature 20 poets contributing 1 poem each. The poems will be selected and edited, following a call for entries by the judges, Dami Ajayi and Titilope Sonuga. Five poets with the most outstanding poems will receive a cash prize of ₦20,000 each, and a chance to read their poems at the opening ceremony of the Lagos International Poetry Festival.
Dami Àjàyí is a Nigerian poet, medical doctor, and music critic. His first collection of poems, Clinical Blues, was shortlisted for the Melita Hume Prize in 2012. In 2011, he was listed among the “Eight Young Nigerian Poets Whose Poems Delight” on the Sentinel UK Poetry Blog. Ajayi has written short stories that have been published in Nigeria and abroad. He currently provides critical reviews about Nigerian music to a number of online publications.
Titilope Sonuga is an award-winning poet, writer and performer. She was the winner of the 2011 Canadian Authors’ Association Emerging Writer Award for her first collection of poems. She was shortlisted for the Africa Center Artist in Residency (AIR) program in 2015. Her work has appeared in Brittle Paper, The Great Black North: Contemporary African Canadian Poetry, was translated into Italian for El-Ghibli Magazine, and into German for the Berlin International Poetry Festival.
October 16th: Call out for Entries
October 17th: Announcement of judges
October 26th: Close of submissions
October 27th: Review of entries
November 1st: Announcement of successful entries (Top 20)
How to Submit Your Poem
To participate, write one poem based on one of the following themes:
– Social Justice
– Gender and Racial Equality
– Sexual Identity
– The need for vigilance in a post-truth era.
Note that it is free-form [No particular number of lines or stanzas. So feel free to be creative without restriction].
Submit your poem by publishing it as a book on OkadaBooks and including the hashtag, #LIPFest18 in your book title. See the thorough tutorial on submission below:
– Visit the OkadaBooks website
– Then Select CREATE YOUR STORY
– This takes you to the publication page. Ensure that you include #LIPFest18 in your title
– Fill in the details:
Author’s Name: [Your Name]
Description: Include the title of your poem.
Price: Set this as “0”
NOTE: Do NOT check the “Disable sale in Web Store” and “Adult (18+)” boxes
– Book Covers are not compulsory because your poems are the main focus of this contest; but if you have a book cover, please upload it. You can use Canva to create a very simple book cover containing only the title of your book and your name, like the one below:
– After filling in the details above, you will see two actions buttons: UPLOAD EPUB and CREATE EPUB. Please click on CREATE EPUB. When you do this, a text box will pop-up. Type in your poem, or simply copy and paste it in the text box
– After you have typed in or copied and pasted your poem, scroll to the end of the web page, and you will see three action buttons: PREVIEW (gives you a sneak peek of your book), SAVE (saves your unpublished book as draft in case you do not want to publish immediately) and PUBLISH (makes your book available in the store for download or purchase). Click on PUBLISH and you should get a confirmation that your book has been published, as shown in the screenshot below.
– To see the book in your dashboard
– To edit an already-published book, go to MY PUBLICATIONS, find the book and click on the pencil icon. This will take you to the publication page; make the changes. Afterwards, scroll to the end of the page and click on REPUBLISH.
If you have any questions, drop them in the comment section and you will get a response in less than 5 minutes!