Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) is an initiative of Poets in Nigeria (PIN) aimed at stimulating literary creativity, promoting literary excellence and encouraging critical thinking among Nigerian undergraduates. Since inception in 2016 at the University of Ibadan, the prize has received over 1500 entries from students representing over 100 tertiary institutions (including universities, polytechnics, colleges of education, schools of nursing and seminary schools).
The fourth edition of the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize (NSPP) opens to submission between 15th January and 15th March, 2019. Interested Nigerian undergraduates are expected to submit a 30-line poem on any theme of their choice before the deadline.
Aside rewarding the prize winners (top three entrants) with a total cash prize of ₦300,000, the top 100 entrants will each receive a certificate of excellence and complimentary copy of the NSPP anthology which features their works.
1st Prize – ₦150,000
2nd Prize – ₦100,000
3rd Prize – ₦50,000
- Open to all Nigerian undergraduates studying in Nigeria and the diaspora.
- Entrants must be from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Submissions are to be made at nspp.poetsinnigeria.org.ng, with strict adherence to the instructions thereon.
- Poems must be original, intellectual property of the entrants.
- An entrant is entitled to a single entry of 30 lines maximum.
- There are no fixed themes. Entrants can write on any relevant theme.
- Entries submitted must be previously unpublished. A submission discovered to have defaulted on this rule will be automatically voided (inclusive of winners).
- All entrants are expected to purchase a minimum of one of the three NSPP anthologies uploaded on the submission portal.
- Under no condition will the judges’ decision be challenged.
- Entering for the contest gives PIN automatic right to make use of entries as deemed appropriate.
- Entries must be written in English. Native terminologies must be translated in English as footnotes.
- Entrants should subscribe to www.poetsinnigeria.org.ng for regular updates.
15th March, 2019