Writers are invited to create and submit a short story consisting of 50 paragraphs. The contest provides the 1st and 25th paragraphs, and the short story writer crafts the rest. First prize is $3000, 2nd prize is $2000, and 3rd prize is $1000 with the winning short stories published in a short story anthology, as well as an invitation to give a public reading. The twenty-four finalists will also have their short stories included in this anthology.
ABOUT THE CONTEST
Owl Canyon Press provides paragraph #1 and two alternative paragraph #25’s. The writer gets to choose which paragraph #25 to use and then writes the other 48 paragraphs (i.e., paragraphs 2-24 and 26-50) to complete the story.
- There’s no cost to enter
- Anyone can submit, including outside the USA, but the stories must be in English
- 50 Paragraphs total – including the 1st and 25th provided in the submission form
- No maximum word count, but each paragraph needs to be at least 40 words – this isn’t flash fiction so feel free to use as many words as you need to tell the story
- Dialog is fine as long as it’s in a paragraph of at least 40 words
- Authors retain all rights to their short stories
- Winning authors agree to permit Owl Canyon Press to publish their stories in an Anthology
- Winners receive up to $3000 in cash awards, publication in a short story anthology, and an invitation to give a public reading at Inkberry Books in Niwot, CO
- Winners will be notified in February 2019
- Failure to comply with any contest guidelines may result in disqualification
1st December, 2018
Click here to submit your entry
NOTE: Scroll to the end of the submission page and create an account. Afterwards, you’ll see the 1st and 25th paragraphs.
For more details and contest judges, click here