Submissions for the 2019 Wilbur Smith Adventure Writing Prize have begun. This is an international prize and entries are accepted from writers of any nationality, writing in English. Only fictional works are accepted.
An adventure story is expected to:
- Take the reader on an epic journey, exploring new horizons – be they historical or geographical
- Explore the themes of courage, endurance and resourcefulness
- Allow readers to connect with a different reality or culture
The Prize is split into two separate categories – an award for the best published adventure novel and a award for the best unpublished manuscript by a debut author
Best Published Novel | Prize: £15,000
- Novels must be published by a recognized trade publisher
- Entrants may submit multiple works by the same author so long as they are published between 1st May 2018 – 30th April 2019. Proof copies will be accepted
- Entries must be submitted digitally, as a .pdf file. We are also able to accept .epub and .mobi files
Best Unpublished Manuscript | Prize: Publishing deal with Bonnier Books UK
The winner will have their manuscript published by Bonnier Books UK, in a publishing deal with a writer’s advance of £15,000. The book will be published in 2020.
In addition, each of the shortlisted writers will receive three months of one-to-one manuscript development with a literary consultant, intended to help each writer reach the standard necessary for submission to agents and publishers.
- Submissions must exceed 50,000 words in length, the ideal length is 75,000+ words
- The author must not be represented by a literary agent
- The author must not already have a novel published by a recognised trade publisher
- Self-published books are eligible
- Entries must be submitted digitally, ideally as a .pdf
- Entrants may submit multiple works
Submission Deadline: 1st March, 2019
Published shortlist announced: 15th May 2019
Unpublished shortlist announced: 29th May 2019
Winners announced: 12th September 2019
- The competition is open to writers of any nationality writing in English.
- The work in question must have been published by a recognised trade publisher.
- Entrants may submit multiple works by the same author so long as they are published between 1st May 2018 – 30th April 2019. Proof copies are accepted.
- Entries must be submitted digitally, as a .pdf file. We are also able to accept .epub and .mobi files.