Do you travel a lot? And do you enjoy sharing your travelling experiences with everyone? Well, you’re in luck. Many contest organizers have started accepting entries for travel writing contests, scholarships and opportunities in 2021.
Wait no more . Start writing about the sumptuous meals you had or the drinks that made you feel alive again. Write about the sights and smells and sound of the places you visited. Write about your memories and get paid for them.
Listed below are 5 travel writing contests you should definitely look into in 2021, and possibly beyond.
The PureTravel Travel Writing Competition 2021 (Prize: $650 + Publication)
No application fee is required to apply for this contest. To enter for the Pure Travel Travel Writing Contest, you need to submit an original story about your most ‘breathtaking travel moment’. Here’s a snippet from a press release:
“Whether you stumbled on a stunning view or glimpsed a long-lost ruin. Perhaps you bumped into someone unexpectedly or were shown kindness by a stranger.
Maybe you had an intricate travel plan come to fruition or you simply slipped into some icy water.”
Make the reader really experience the moment with you. Here are some important guidelines to note:
- Entries should be 350+ words in length
- Only unpublished, original stories will be accepted.
- Please give your article a title.
- Entries that are shorter will be rejected.
- Plagiarized work will be jettisoned.
- Please paste your text on to the email body. Do not send attachments.
Entries should be sent to: email@example.com, with your name, e-mail and telephone number.
Spring 2021: Nowhere Spring Travel Writing Prize and The Emerging Writers Prize
Award-winning literary travel magazine Nowhere is currently accepting submissions for the following prizes:
- 2021 Emerging Travel Writers’ Prize!
- Annual Spring Travel Writing Prize 2021.
They’re looking for novice and veteran travel writers from anywhere in the world to send them stories—fiction, nonfiction, essays or poetry.
- Fiction and creative non-fiction stories should be between 800 – 5000 words.
- Poetry may be any length, and several poems, themed together, may be submitted as one entry.
They are particularly interested in works that possess a powerful sense of place, people and time.
The first prize winner will receive US$1,000, with publication in Nowhere granted under First North American Serial Rights (FNASR). The publishers will feature the works of up to ten finalists.
Every submission will be read blind, so anyone can win!
You can submit your story via the Nowhere Submission Guidelines.
Great Escape Publishing Is Currently Accepting Submissions:
Great Escape Publishing is a reputable organization that helps writers get paid to travel. They accept articles in a variety of categories, including articles about :
- travel blogging,
- creating your own tours,
- the import/export business,
- travel writing, and photography.
They pay between $50 and $200, depending on the nature of the writing. If you want to learn more about how to get published on Great Escape Publishing, read their submission guidelines.
Teen Travel Writing Scholarship 2021
The Family Travel Forum Teen Travel Writing Scholarship is currently open for submissions. If you are eligible, send in your applications. If your essay is selected, you can win up to $1,000.
To apply for this scholarship, you must write and submit an essay on the following topics:
- Have you taken an unexpectedly wonderful or terrible but funny trip with your family?
- Or have you journeyed somewhere with a school group or sports team and have some advice on how to make the most of your experience or destination?
- Have you gone somewhere near or far that opened up alternative ways of looking at the world?.
Here are some important guidelines to note:
- This contest is open to only junior or high school students in the USA, Canada, or American international schools abroad..
- Travel stories should be no more than 600 words.
- The trip must have been taken in the last five years.
- Other details can be found HERE.
TheParkingSpot Travel Writing Essay Prize ( Prize: Scholarship worth $1000 USD)
The Parking Spot is awarding a $1,000 scholarship to a prospective college student that submits a winning essay on the topic, “What is your favorite vacation memory and why?”
Submission Guidelines: Essay submissions must be 500 words or less. All entries must be electronically sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Read their guidelines carefully before you apply.
Send your essay submission to them as an email attachment with the subject line “Scholarship Essay Submission.”
Before you apply, please read the submissions and eligibility guidelines for The Parking Spot Scholarship for Travel Writing.
“Unexpected Adventures” Travel Writing Competition – ( Prizes: Up to $150 +Publication)
Organized by Intrepid Times, this contest is open to writers from every part of the globe. The editors are looking for travel essays that explore the theme of Unexpected Adventures. Your writing experience is inconsequential. All the editors want is a gripping and original story.
You should definitely apply, if you can write first-person travel stories about unexpected adventures. To increase your chances of winning, ensure that your story is::
- Factual and original
- Written in a distinctive voice
- satisfying and attention gripping.
- Capable of taking the reader along on a journey.
The top-prize winner will receive a cash-prize of US $150. Three runners up will be paid US $50 each. Their work will also be published in Intrepid Times. Visit their website to learn more about their submissions guidelines.
Wrap On Travel Writing Scholarship.:
Travel writing has become very lucrative in recent times. You can start applying for travel writing scholarships, and opportunities.
Have you applied for any travel writing related opportunities? How did it go? Please leave your stories in the comments section.